Though many people rely on buses and other forms of transportation owned and operated by the MTA to get them safely from place to place, this does not always happen, and if you’ve been injured in a bus accident, you should consider speaking with an experienced New York City bus accident lawyer as soon as you can. Contact the Law Office of James Trainor, P.C. today.
New York City Bus Accident Lawyer | Fighting for You
If you’ve been hurt in a bus accident due to no fault of your own, you can depend on our New York City auto accident lawyer to effectively fight for the compensation to which you are entitled. Our firm is on your side.
Bus Accidents in New York City
As you know, the city is constantly bustling with activity, making auto accidents all the more common. Unfortunately, most bus accidents are caused by negligence, either on the part of the bus driver or other negligent motorists on the road. Often, bus accidents are caused by bus driver negligence. Some of the most common types of bus driver negligence include the following:
- Distracted driving (such as texting or looking at maps/GPS)
- Failing to appropriately discharge passengers
- Sudden stops and starts
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Unsafely merging or changing lanes
- Failing to allow enough time to brake
Proving Your Injury Claim
To win a personal injury claim, you will first have to satisfy the burden of proof. You can do so by obtaining various forms of evidence at the scene of the accident, as long as you are physically capable of doing so. For example, after a bus accident, you should:
- Seek immediate medical treatment by calling 911.
- As you await the arrival of law enforcement, take pictures of the scene of the accident.
- Obtain witness contact information. If you were injured as a passenger on a bus, this shouldn’t be too difficult.
- Once you are treated at the hospital, collect a copy of your medical documentation and bills.
- Hire an experienced New York City bus accident lawyer who can work to uncover all other information needed to prove your claim.
Filing a Notice of Claim
If you’ve been injured in a bus accident where the bus was owned or operated by the New York City Transit Authority, Metropolitan Transit Authority, or other municipal authority, you should note that you will have very little time to file a Notice of Claim. In fact, you will only have 90 days from the date of your accident to file a Notice of Claim against the responsible municipal authority. Waiting any longer than 90 days may permanently bar you from suing. From here, you will have 1 year and 90 days from the date of your injury to file your personal injury claim. Ensure you speak with an experienced New York City bus accident lawyer as soon as you can.
Contact a New York City Bus Accident Lawyer
We know just how jarring, and potentially devastating, bus accidents can be, which is why we are prepared to fight for your right to financial compensation, every step of the way. If you’ve been hurt, contact the Law Office of James Trainor, P.C. today to schedule your initial consultation with our legal team.