Speeding is a leading cause of car accidents. If you were injured in a car accident, do not hesitate to reach out to our firm today to discuss your legal options. A New York City auto accident lawyer can help you obtain the compensation you need to heal.
What are the risks of speeding?
One-third of all motor vehicle fatalities in the past two decades have been directly related to speeding. In fact, speeders were a contributing factor in 26% of all traffic fatalities in 2019.
It is critical to understand that speed also affects your safety even when you are going the speed limit but overly fast for road conditions, for example during bad weather, when a road is under repair, or in a location at night that is not well lit.
Speeding not only places the speeder in danger but also others on the road, including law enforcement officers. It is critical that you comprehend the seriousness of speeding. If you were hurt as a result of a speeding driver, you may be eligible to receive financial compensation for your burdens. It is in your best interest to reach out to our firm today to examine the details of your case and your legal alternatives.
What are the consequences of speeding?
Speeding is against the law for a reason. As a result, penalties can be serious and include the following:
- Reduced effectiveness of occupant protection equipment;
- Greater potential for loss of vehicle control;
- Increased degree of crash severity leading to more severe injuries;
- Increased stopping distance after the driver perceives a danger;
- Economic implications of a speed-related crash; and
- Increased fuel consumption/cost.
What should I do if there is a speeder/aggressive driver on the road?
The person speeding is put at risk, in addition to other drivers, pedestrians, and bicyclists. If you are on the road with a speeder, it is essential that you keep in mind the following steps to best defend yourself on the road:
- If you are in the left lane and someone wants to pass, move over and let them.
- Adjust your driving as you see fit. Speeding is linked to aggressive driving. If a speeder is tailgating you or trying to engage you in risky driving, it is important that you do what you can to safely move your vehicle out of the way.
- Be sure to provide speeding drivers with plenty of space. Speeding drivers may lose control of their vehicles more easily.
- Contact the police if you think a driver is following you or harassing you.
Reach out to an experienced New York City personal injury attorney if you were injured in a car accident due to speeding.
Contact Our New York City Personal Injury Firm
Serious accidents occur in New York City every single day, and if you are an accident victim, it’s best you are prepared. Our firm proudly serves clients throughout NYC, including in Brooklyn, Harlem, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island. Contact the Law Office of James Trainor, P.C. today to schedule your free initial consultation with our knowledgeable legal team.